Michael T. Carr is a Member at Rosenberg & Estis, P.C. with a practice extending through litigation strategy, leasing strategy and compliance issues. Carr regularly advises some of New York City’s largest landlords, developers and managers to address their ever-changing real estate operational needs. He remains at the forefront of legislative changes to ensure his clients’ interests are protected while operating within a challenging and increasingly regulatory legal landscape. Carr is leading the firm’s groundwork on Local Law 97, which has clearly become a top concern for both landlords and tenants.
From the start of his career, Carr has demonstrated strong business generation and a creative, cost-effective approach to litigation that sets him apart in the real estate sector. Carr's clients benefit from his non-traditional strategy of bringing cases to federal court, which has proven to be a swifter and more efficient manner of litigation.
Carr's practice has expanded from what was chiefly a residential landlord / tenant specialty, to consulting some of New York City's most prominent commercial owners, operators and developers facing business disputes, managerial needs, partnership litigation, corporate litigation and asset operation. He is an active member of Building Owners & Managers Association (BOMA) New York, advising both its Codes and Regulations and Business & Marketing Strategy Committees. In addition to routinely advising a successful real estate startup on compliance and operational management, Carr currently represents large multi-generational families in both real estate transactions and inner-family disputes. His clients include a 50% owner of over $1 billion in assets.
Carr has successfully tried jury and non-jury cases, litigating cases in Federal District Court and in New York State trial and appellate courts. He has also represented clients before various New York City administrative agencies including, the Office of Administrative Trial and Hearings and the Environmental Control Board. Although he enjoys taking cases to trial, his first instinct is to find a weakness in the opposition's case in order to gain an advantage in settlement negotiations.
Before joining the firm, Carr was a sole practitioner in Brooklyn, New York, to which he still holds strong roots. During that time Carr represented many landlords, both big and small, and appeared personally in Kings County Housing Court on an almost daily basis, giving him an unparalleled understanding of the intricacies surrounding landlord / tenant law. These clients included many new investors to Brooklyn who have contributed to the borough's renaissance.
Areas Of Practice
- Commercial Lease Disputes
- Co-op / Condo Disputes
- Landlord / Tenant Disputes, including Yellowstone Injunctions
- Contract Disputes
- Acquisitions & Sales
- New York, 2011
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- New Jersey, 2010
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2010
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York
- J.D. - 2010
- Binghamton University
- B.A. - 2006
- “Keeping & Growing Your Team: Retention & Talent Acquisition,” Bisnow’s New York Economic Forecast, Moderator, November 2022
- “Leasing Basics: Term Sheet and Fundamental Considerations” (Emerging Leaders Webinar), Building Owners & Managers Association (BOMA), October 2022
- “Reasonable perspective on how to adapt the new paradigm with rental laws,” Property Management Construction Real Estate Convention, Panelist, August 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Building Owners & Managers Association (BOMA), Codes and Regulations, Legal Subcommittee Chair
- Kings County Housing Bar Association
- Brooklyn Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- National Eagle Scout Association (Eagle Scout Award, 2001)