Blaine Z. Schwadel joined Rosenberg & Estis, P.C. in 1979 and is a member with the firm’s Administrative Law Department. Mr. Schwadel has been practicing regulatory law in New York City for more than 30 years. His practice includes representation of property owners and lenders in all aspects of rent regulatory issues.
Mr. Schwadel supervises the Rosenberg & Estis Regulatory Law Group and personally represents clients in all such matters including MCI and J51 filings, administrative proceedings before the DHCR, AG, HPD, ECB and Building Department, as well as in Article 78 proceedings and Appeals to the higher courts. He also conducts and coordinates the various aspects of Rent Regulatory due diligence matters for both purchasers and lenders. He counsels developers, investors, REITs and lenders in the highly specialized rent regulation aspects of residential real estate, including transactions, development, tax benefit programs, maximization of rents and defense of tenant claims relating to residential, hotel and mixed-use properties.
- Obtained MCI rent increases based on an approved cost of 7 million dollars for a large Harlem apartment building complex.
- Successfully appealed DHCR's denial of MCI rent increases for a condominium in Bronxville.
- Successfully appealed DHCR's reversal of an order dismissing a tenant's FMRA in the Appellate Division, First Department.
- In connection with an appeal of a claim of rent stabilized status based on the Court of Appeals determination in Roberts, participated in the formulation of the strategy upon which the Appellate Court ultimately held that the tenants' agreement to vacate their apartment was not an improper waiver of rights under the Rent Stabilization Law.
- Provided rent regulatory review and advice to a large insurance company concerning its decisions to purchase a new construction in Astoria and not to purchase a RPTL 421a building in Manhattan.
Well versed in NY rent regulation, Mr. Schwadel has taught classes on at the New York University School of Continuing Education/Real Estate Institute, is a frequent participant in RSA and CHIP seminar programs. He has been a featured speaker before the New York State Bar Association, Real Property Law Section, Committee on Landlord and Tenant, on the topic of DHCR Law, Practice and Procedure from an owner's point of view.
Before joining Rosenberg & Estis, Mr. Schwadel was employed by the New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development, Office of Rent and Housing Maintenance (Rent Control Division).
Areas Of Practice
- Rent Regulation & Administrative Law
- Landlord Tenant Law
- Appellate Law
- New York, 1981
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1987
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1981
- Honors: cum laude
- Brooklyn College of the City University of New York
- B.A. - 1978
- What you need to know about NYC's new rent regulations, Real Estate Weekly, 2019
- Rent Act of 2011 Seminar, Rosenberg & Estis, P.C., 2011
- Residential Real Estate After 2010: Statutory Regulatory, and Legal Changes, New York County Lawyers Association, 2011
- DHCR Law, Practice and Procedure, New York State Bar Association, Real Property Law Section, 2009
- MCI Workshop - The MCI Application Process, CHIP, 2009
- REBNY Rent Laws Seminar, Speaker, August 2019
- Small Property Owners of New York (SPONY) Rent Regulation Seminar, Speaker, July 2019
- Jewish National Fund (JNF) Rent Stabilization Legislation Panel, Speaker, July 2019
- HSTPA 2019: Everything You Need To Know About Rent Reform, Speaker, July 2019
- CLE: The Rent Laws of 2019, Speaker, July 2019
- Rosenberg & Estis, P.C. Rent Regulation Seminar following the passage of the HSTPA of 2019, Speaker, June 2019