JP Amato joined Rosenberg & Estis, P.C. in 2023 and is an Associate with the firm's Litigation Department.
Amato's litigation practice spans a wide and complex range of matters, predominantly in the commercial and residential real estate space. He has litigated disputes arising asset purchase agreements, operating agreements, and various loan documents, and frequently represents landlords in disputes with commercial and residential tenants, as well as condominium and cooperative boards in disputes with unit owners and shareholders. He has also defended a class action lawsuit alleging breaches of the implied warranty of habitability due to alleged elevator-service interruptions in four luxury high-rise buildings in Manhattan.
Amato has experience in all aspects of litigation, such as reviewing, drafting, revising, and analyzing legal memoranda, including pleadings, briefs, letters, mediation statements, expert reports, settlement agreements, contracts of sale, guarantees, releases, and discovery documents. In addition to corresponding with courts, opposing counsel, and clients regarding ongoing matters, Amato ensures court documents are prepared, finalized, and e-filed in compliance with local rules and best practices.
Prior to joining Rosenberg & Estis, Amato was an Associate with Ganfer Shore Leeds & Zauderer LLP and Wade Clark Mulcahy LLP. Before pursuing law, Amato worked in a variety of production, talent management, and business roles within the entertainment industry, including with a renowned global advertising and consulting agency.
- Obtained temporary restraining order against commercial licensee for violating underlying agreement’s use provisions by advertising for and retailing cannabis/marijuana without licensure, per the Cannabis Law.
- Obtained temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction against a residential tenant for violating the subject lease's transient occupancy prohibitions and New York City Local Law 18, also known as the Short-Term Rent Registration Law.
- Managed large-scale e-discovery of over 200,000 documents in a complex professional liability dispute.
- Successfully defeated a motion to confirm an arbitration award pursuant to Article 75 of the CPLR.
Areas Of Practice
- Commercial Lease Disputes
- Co-op/Condo Disputes
- Class Action Defense
- Construction Disputes and Adjoining Access Issues
- Landlord/Tenant Disputes, including Yellowstone Injunctions
- Contract Disputes
- Partnership and Joint Venture Disputes
- New York, 2021
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2021
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2021
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 2021
St. John’s University School of Law
- American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review
- Associate Managing Editor
- Intellectual Property Law Society
- President: New York Court of Appeals Fellow ’18
- Dean’s Scholarship
- IP Honors Scholar
Syracuse University, S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications
- B.A. in Television, Radio & Film and Political Science
- Honors: cum laude
- “Start Spreading the News: A Primer on Cyber Legislation in New York,” Data and Security Dispatch, Vol. 6.1, May 2021
- “New York Legislature Considers Amending RPAPL 881,” New York Real Property Law Journal (forthcoming Spring 2023)
- Robert Cosgrove & John P. Amato, Start Spreading the News: A Primer on Cyber Legislation in New York, Data and Security Dispatch, Vol. 6.1, May 2021
- Ira B. Matetsky & John P. Amato, New York Legislature Considers Amending RPAPL § 881, 51 N.Y. Real Prop. L.J. 1, 16-18 (2023).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- Columbian Lawyers Association