Syed Ali Fatmi joined Rosenberg & Estis, P.C. in 2022 and is an Associate with the firm's Administrative Law Department.Fatmi has litigated Real Property Tax Law (RPTL) Article 7 Tax Certiorari proceedings challenging the tax assessment for commercial real estate buildings, cell towers, and energy facilities. He represents clients with valuation disputes of portfolio assets and routinely advises clients in eminent domain proceedings, from preliminary hearing stages to trials involving the acquisition of real property interests, trade fixtures, and leasehold rights.
Fatmi has extensive experience working with Prominent landlords and property management companies throughout New York City's five boroughs. Fatmi has represented clients in the Civil Court and the Supreme Court of the State of New York. He also has comprehensive trial experience in Federal Immigration Court, representing foreign nationals in removal proceedings.
Fatmi's experience in New York Supreme Court and Civil Court consisted of oral arguments and drafting a range of motions, including summons and complaints, answers, orders to show cause, motions to compel discovery, and oppositions.
Fatmi also has a wide variety of experience in administrative proceedings before the Division of Housing and Community Renewal ("DHCR") on behalf of the landlords of rent-stabilized and rent controlled apartment buildings. This experience includes, but is not limited to, rent overcharge proceedings, fair market rent appeals, major capital improvement challenges and Tenant Protection Unit audits, CONH applications, substantial rehabilitation issues, and applications. Fatmi has also successfully represented clients in Article 78 Proceedings challenging DHCR determinations.
Prior to joining Rosenberg & Estis, Fatmi was an Associate with Barclay Damon, LLP and Sidrane, Schwartz-Sidrane, LLP.
Areas Of Practice
- Administrative proceedings
- Adverse Possession cases
- Eminent Domain / Condemnation
- Landlord / Tenant Disputes, including Yellowstone Injunctions
- Administrative Law
- Due Diligence in connection with Multifamily Purchases, Sales and Financing: Rent Regulation and Affordability Analysis and Risk Assessments
- Filings and Analysis of Property Tax and Financial Incentive Programs (421-a, ICAP/ICIP, 420-c, J-51, 420-a, PHFL Art. XI, IDA, PILOT, FRESH)
- Rent Stabilization Issues: Coverage, Rent Overcharge, Substantial Rehabilitation and Regulatory Compliance
- DHCR, TPU and Attorney General Proceedings and Audits
- Property Tax Reduction / Certiorari
- Affordable Housing Financing and Compliance
- Wage Compliance Obligations under 421-a Tax Exemption and other Programs
- Article 78 Proceedings and Appeals Challenging Agency Orders
- Zoning Resolution Regulatory Agreements (Voluntary & Mandatory Inclusionary Housing, Senior Housing, FRESH)
- Regulatory Agreements Generally, including Financing and Tax Benefits
- No Action Condominium Formation and Filings, including as needed to Qualify Units for Property Tax Incentives
- Certificates of No Harassment
- New York, 2019
- Minnesota, 2018
- Western Michigan University, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- J.D. - 2018
- Honors: cum laude
- York University
- B.A. in Psychology (with honors) - 2014
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America, Administrative / Regulatory Law, 2023
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- Former Young Lawyers Section Chair
- Former Trial Lawyers Section Liaison
Pro Bono Activities
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York
Syed Ali Fatmi